Our journey home…

After we put the van up for sale we decided to give it 6 days to sell and if we didn’t have any interest we were going to try and drive it home and hope and pray for the best. We had a few calls and emails but nobody too serious until the 6th day when a local artist test drove the van and bought it the same day. He has some ideas for painting some murals on it and we think Buddy will be enjoying some more adventures on the West Coast. We thought about flying back, but after unloading the van we realized we had way too much stuff and decided to rent a car. Our new trip mobile is below… definitely a little cramped, but we made it work.

As you can see, we tried the magnet out on the car, but it wasn’t a very good fit, so we just packed it in the back. It was similar to a game of Tetris (or Blokus) fitting all of our gear from the van into a Nissan Sentra, but somehow we did it.

We were eager to see some family so we decided to drive straight to Nashville, TN (32 hours) to stay with some of our best friends, Rich and Tiff Zuch, and then on to Greenville, SC to be with family.

The trip has been incredible with plenty of highs and lows and tons of memories that we will never forget. We are happy to be home and to have been lucky enough to experience all that we did. Here’s a few shots of our trip home and the last video taken of Buddy.

14 Comments

1. Richard Rowell

Sure have enjoyed your trip thru your videos and blog. My hat is off to you and I like both of your attitudes when encountering problems. Life is to short to worry about the problems, enjoy the good times and remember them mostly!

Comment by Richard Rowell on August 4, 2011 at 4:22 pm

2. Thanking the Lord for your safe trip back to be with your family at this time. I have enjoyed this wonderful site, the photos, the videos, and mostly just seeing you two experiencing such an awesome adventure together. All those memories will be precious to you both, I know! Thanks for sharing your trip with us.

Comment by Martha on August 4, 2011 at 7:23 pm

3. I may have teared up a bit when I read you were selling the van… but then let’s be honest when I saw his magnificent hair I probably could have been convinced to hand over the keys just to touch those curls.

I can’t believe your trip is done- where did the summer go?!

Comment by Karin on August 4, 2011 at 7:49 pm

4. Mom Landers

Blokus! A great way to end your adventures….who won? :) I have enjoyed taking this trip – thanks for inviting us to join you! Love you two. Mom

Comment by Mom Landers on August 4, 2011 at 10:43 pm

5. Mom Landers

PS. Hope you got the artist’s number so we can see Buddy’s new adventure!

Comment by Mom Landers on August 4, 2011 at 10:44 pm

6. follow this trip

Yep, Blokus is great and Ben won… not to brag or anything

Comment by follow this trip on August 4, 2011 at 11:12 pm

7. Mary Jones

I am glad you are back home safe and sound. I have enjoyed riding along on your trip. The scenery was beautiful. I wish the van would have behaved but you will look back on this in a few years and laugh. I wish we had done this when we were young. Good luck and God Bless. Mary

Comment by Mary Jones on August 5, 2011 at 9:04 am

8. KevnBren

What an adventure! We sure appreciate you taking us along…only problem is it feels like the end of summer and now we have to go back to school ugh… will watch for your safe at home message. Thanks again!!

Comment by KevnBren on August 5, 2011 at 10:46 am

9. Tiff Z

Glad you decided to post that!!! Miss miss miss you guys! We have new developments to discuss asap!

Comment by Tiff Z on August 5, 2011 at 6:28 pm

10. Courtney Krueger

I think I posted this earlier on your site, but this posting in particular makes me think of this clip, “Goodbye Buddy”

Comment by Courtney Krueger on August 6, 2011 at 7:13 pm

11. Meems

I’ve thoroughly enjoyed following this trip! I’m having withdrawals without further posts. Seriously, though it was great to see all of my kids together this weekend, even though it was a sad occasion for our family. I hope your memories of this trip stay with you forever…well the good parts anyhow! If you think about it, even the bad times were good practice for problem solving…and yes, maybe someday you will look back and laugh.

Comment by Meems on August 7, 2011 at 10:40 pm

12. follow this trip

Thanks Ma!

Comment by follow this trip on August 8, 2011 at 11:45 am

13. south mauldin

So when is the Welcome Home Party with the slideshow and the beer and food and all?

I’ll buy the keg.

Comment by south mauldin on August 12, 2011 at 9:32 am

14. Jennifer Glass

Just watched the bye bye Buddy video… You guys are awesome..!! Glad to have you back in Columbia!!!

Comment by Jennifer Glass on August 12, 2011 at 3:58 pm