Note to Self: Pay the Professionals

We knew we wanted to tint the back 6 windows of “Buddy” to help block the summer heat that’s to come. It would also be great for privacy. We did our first window and it wasn’t terrible, but wasn’t great. It did show us just how much more privacy we’d have though (my other hand is directly on the right window too and you can’t see it at all).

We are all about DIY and saving money, but sometimes it’s best to pay the experts.

What we did to prepare to tint ourselves:
1) Watched tons of YouTube how-to videos.
2) Bought the tint.
3) Used kraft paper to create a template.

4) Traced around the template.

5) Cut around the template.

6) Sprayed the adhesive and got our squeegee ready.

7) Went to battle with the tint.

8) Lost the battle.

Here’s how our second window turned out. (See the one on the right).

Permanent creases and bubbles.

What we didn’t do to prepare for tinting ourselves:
1) Get a quote from a professional and compare that to how much it would cost us, accounting for extra material for mess-ups.
2) Consider how much time we’d spend.

It would have cost us a total of about $80-100 to do it ourselves (because of the extra tint we’d have to buy for mess-ups), but probably an hour per window that would result in permanent bubbles/creases. So we went to 3 local tint shops. The first one quoted us at $145, the second $150 and the third was a super sketchy/scary/creepy place where a homeless-looking dude walked up to me and said the “tint man ain’t here”. Eek! Not interested.

Then we looked up reviews online and found out that the first place was excellent and offered a better lifetime warranty (plus it was $5 cheaper…that’s a gallon of gas people!) So Auto Trim Design of Columbia it was!

Yay for professionals!

You may remember the old bed.

It was made to sleep long ways (hence the stick figure) and gave little room for storage underneath.

For a refresher, here’s us ripping it out.

Lucky for us, Ben is no more than 6 feet tall so we decided by sleeping sideways, we could add a good 2 feet or so of living space to our “home”.

Although Columbia weather is warming up quite nicely for spring, in the course of time since our renovations started we’ve worked in sun or snow as you can see from the video below. Some of it was shot months ago, then we accidentally recorded over it (boo!) and the rest was shot more recently.

So that’s the progress of our new bed. We’ll be DIYing a super simple/cheap bedskirt to hide the milk crates and less-than-attractive taped up foam soon.

It was kind of like a kid being told no. As soon as everyone voted for sea spray on our facebook page, I wanted to paint the inside of the van malted milk.

Sea Spray with color scheme —

Malted Milk with color scheme —

Either would’ve looked fabulous in my opinion BUT when the husband got home and told me how badly he did not want a “barbie van”, I compromised and went with the majority.

Before our new paint was applied —

After —

It looks a little white in the picture, but it’s not. It’s one of those colors that seems to change from soft blue to green depending on the time of day.

It just kind of brightens things up and makes the space feel bigger.